Bar carts are making a comeback and this post will tell you the what, where, and how to style a bar cart like a pro! Bar carts are kind of a throwback to a time when folks came home from work, made a cocktail, and listened to records on their stereo set in the living room.
I can vividly remember my mom being so excited about finding the perfect bar cart for the living room. It was shaped like a huge globe and it opened up from the top to reveal fabulous glassware, decanters, and of course the good “brown liquor” LOL! Those were definitely the good ole days!
Nowadays, living rooms are barely used in most homes or they are non-existent in most new open floor plans. Stereo sets have been replaced by iTunes and not too many people host old fashion cocktail parties anymore! However, in the last few years, these beautiful nostalgic bar carts are making a comeback! Millennials are discovering this space-saving, yet artful way to entertain, and Empty-nesters are having fun rediscovering bar carts in grandma’s garage along with those cool old albums! Here is a picture of a bar cart just like the one my mother had! Too bad we did not keep that cool vintage piece… sigh.
However, if you don’t have one in grandma’s garage or if you can’t find one at Goodwill, have no fear…you can just go to Target or any home store and you will see quite a collection! Prices typically range from $100-$400 depending on the style, material, and size. Here are a few options I discovered in my quest to find the perfect bar cart since Mommy’s bar globe is long gone!
This last picture is my bar cart!! I found this compact three-tier bar cart at Cost Plus World Market on sale! It was the perfect size for the small space near my fireplace in the living room. I had so much fun styling this cart with a vintage “Black Glam” theme and a few holiday touches.I finally picked up the book Vintage Black Glamour by Nichelle Gainer . I have been wanting this book for years and it was finally in stock! I also had to display my fancy ONE HOPE glitter Brut bottle, which can be purchased on my storefront, here.
I made several trips to Goodwill and Ross to find old glasses, a decanter and even a Nat King Cole Christmas Album-my favorite!
Now that you have some ideas about price range and WHERE to purchase your bar cart, let’s talk about WHAT you need on your cart and HOW to style it like a pro! There are really no rules for styling your bar cart but, here are a few tips to keep your bar cart looking fabulous!
Things you may need on your bar cart:
- Your favorite spirits
- Non-alcoholic options such as sparkling water or bottled juices
- Shakers or bar items
- Ice bucket
- Decanters or Fancy bottles
- Candy dish or small trays for snacks
- Straws or stir sticks
- Decorative items like books, pictures, frames, or a small vase
- Plants, flowers or a small lamp, depending on size of your cart
Try not to over crowd your bar cart. It is easy to get carried away…I kinda did, lol!
Function & Styling Tips:
- Make it functional but fun! Put items on the cart that you will really use or love to display!
- Determine the best size cart for your space. Note: my three-tier cart is cool however, space is limited and tall items have to go on top. Two-tier carts allow for larger items on both shelves but, take up more space so decide what is best for you!
- Display your fancy glasses and special bottles, this is a great time to take out the gift items you never use!
- Add a little color with sparkling water bottles or colored beverages.
- Set a mood-cool, casual, rustic, vintage, compliment the style of your space!
I hope you have enjoyed this nostalgic yet trending home decor idea. Stay tuned to my blog for my holiday decorating series and more! Subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss a post!
Stay busy being fabulous,