How to date your husband??
I loved when Arnold would say “what you talkin’ bout Willis?” whenever something sounded strange or did not make sense to him, LOL! Dating your husband may sound strange but, I think “dating” is an important part of a happy marriage. I have been married almost 24 years and I am often asked…What is the key to a happy marriage? There are so many factors that make a lasting relationship but I believe that one of the most important things is spending quality time together.
For my husband and I, quality time was top on our “love language” list. About a year ago, my book club read the book The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman.
It was so helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of our relationship and communicating with each other. After reading the book with my girlfriends, I had my husband take the love language quiz and it was really interesting and confirmation of why spending time together was so fulfilling.
When you have been married as long as I have, you have to get creative and find ways to make spending time together a new adventure! I find that the best way to do that is simply dating. These days dating is much easier now that the kids are older. However, even when the kids were little we would still date, we would just have family date nights which usually included dinner and a kid friendly movie. Those were good times too….(sigh) but now it’s date night for two! My husband and I stay busy so I decided to put together a list of my top picks for dating your spouse.
Here are my top 10 things to do on a date with your husband:
- A stroll on the beach and brunch! If you have been following my blog, you know I love brunch! There is nothing like a nice walk on the beach or at the park followed by a little brunch! It is a wonderful way to start your weekend!
2. Good old dinner and a movie with a twist! If you have not tried the Dine-in theaters you are missing a treat! There is nothing like reclining your chair all the way back while they bring food and drinks to your seat! Plus you kill two birds with one stone by having your dinner right there.
3. Explore your city! It is so fun to discover great restaurants, festivals, and local events around town. Here in Los Angeles, our downtown area is growing so much that you could spend weeks discovering new places.
4. Go on a tasting! That could be a wine or beer tasting, a food tasting tour or festival. They even have chocolate tasting tours. It is great to try new varieties and brands. It is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon together.
5. Go to a concert! I love outdoor concerts! Jazz and R& B are my favorites. Every year my hubby and I attend the Playboy Jazz festival. The Hollywood bowl is amazing! There is nothing like music under the stars. They host a variety of concerts all year. There are also free jazz concerts at Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) every Friday in the summer. Checkout the websites- LACMA and Hollywood Bowl.
6. Attend a sporting event together! I happen to enjoy most sports. Watching a basketball, baseball, or hockey game is pretty cool. However, my favorite sport is football! There is nothing like tailgating with great friends and cheering on your favorite team, Go Bruins!
7. Take a Staycation! About once or twice a year we stay at a local hotel and just enjoy room service, dancing, and sipping wine without worrying about driving home. It can make you feel like you are far away!
8. Checkout a museum! If you agree to the auto show, he will probably go to a museum with you, LOL! I am dying to visit The Broad museum. It recently opened in downtown Los Angeles. I can’t wait to check it out!
9. Go on a picnic! It is great to pack a picnic basket with your favorite treats and head to a local park on a beautiful day. Recently, my husband and I attended a great couples picnic event with Covenant Connections, an organization committed to celebrating marriage and connecting couples mind, body, and soul. We had a great time with other couples and enjoyed some amazing food! Checkout their website, here or follow them on Facebook at Covenant Connections.
10. Netflix and kick it! Now for my twenty something daughter this is a no-no! But for us old married folks this is cool. Some of our best “dates” have been on the couch at home bingeing on Netflix, eating pizza, and popcorn!
Well, those are my top ten date picks. I am sure there are more great dating ideas. If you have any suggestions to add, leave your idea in the comments. I hope you have enjoyed this post. Remember to follow my blog and Happy Father’s Day to my wonderful husband and all the great dads out there. Happy dating!!
Stay busy being fabulous,